Under minimal supervision, supports the Directors of the Grice Marine Lab and Graduate Program in Marine Biology and provides complex administrative assistance to the staff, 176 undergraduate students, 50 graduate students (assistantships), 10 summer internship students, 25 undergraduate researchers, 10 resident faculty and 100 graduate faculty affilitated with GML and GPMB. Supervises one permanent staff member and one graduate assistant. The current Administrative Assistant is Shelly Brew.
- Collects data and maintains budgets for 15-17 accounts, including departmental, faculty and student (grant) expenditures and two Foundation accounts. Provides accurate reports of budget balances upon request, monthly and annually. Ensures accurate accounting. Transfers funds between accounts as necessary. Modifies and maintains spreadsheets and databases as required.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates the Administrative Specialist and Graduate Assistant of the Graduate Program in Marine Biology.
- Initiates and processes paperwork for all office and lab supplies for the faculty and staff. Acts as liaison to Procurement for departmental credit cards. Assists with compilation and analysis of data for annual reports.
- Initiates employment contracts for student employment and adjunct professors and non-pay instructors. Works closely with Academic Affairs, Career Services and other agencies such as MUSC, DNR and NOAA to maintain credential information and visa updates for reporting purposes.
- Compiles, analyzes and maintains graduate student and faculty records and databases; utilizes features of Banner software; updates and distributes the GML and GPMB handbooks. Advises faculty and staff of policies and procedures and monitors student progress toward completion.
- Creates, writes and edits departmental newsletter, brochures, posters, etc. for publicizing departmental and student achievements.